For those of you who have also been having an uncanny amount of ’90s throwback moments lately, we submit the following:
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
RUFFHOUSE RECORDS CHIEF SUPPORTS RAP STAR BEANIE SIGEL AMID TAX EVASION SENTENCING ON EVE OF ALBUM RELEASE
Chris Schwartz ‘Extremely Proud’ To Re-Launch Legendary Record Label With ‘One Of The Great Lyricists In The Hip-Hop Game’
‘THIS TIME’ DUE FOR WORLDWIDE RELEASE AUG. 28.
PHILADELPHIA (July 12, 2012) – Chris Schwartz, CEO of legendary hip-hop label Ruffhouse Records, today announced his proud support of BEANIE SIGEL following the Philadelphia rapper’s sentencing for failure to file tax returns.
Despite being sentenced today by a federal judge to two years in prison, Sigel will be the first artist to release music on the newly revived Ruffhouse Records. Sigel’s upcoming album, THIS TIME, will be released Aug. 28 to launch a new distribution deal between Ruffhouse and EMI Label Services. The first single, “The Reunion,” shipped to radio this week.
“We’re extremely proud to be re-launching Ruffhouse Records with Beanie Sigel as our first artist,” said Schwartz, a founding partner at the groundbreaking label which sold 100 million records worldwide in its first incarnation. “His sentencing today doesn’t change any of that in the least. Regardless of this unfortunate situation, Beanie has created a tremendous body of work that is totally worthy of the Ruffhouse name. It’s almost ironic that the sentencing is happening on the eve of this record, because this record is about introspection and redemption. Beanie is truly one of the great lyricists in the hip-hop game. He stands tall among all the major MCs and he’s revered by all hip-hop aficionados around the world.”
Ruffhouse Records, recently proclaimed “one of the greatest record labels of all time” by HipHopDX, is known for catapulting the careers of some of Hip-Hop’s finest artists in the 1990s, including Lauryn Hill, the Fugees, Cypress Hill and Kris Kross.
“I’m basically following the same criteria as the previous Ruffhouse Records for the artists we represent,” says Schwartz. “We’re working with self-established marquee artists, and Beanie is the perfect fit.”
More announcements about the return of Ruffhouse Records, Beanie Sigel’s new album, and beyond are forthcoming. Watch the official website at www.ruffhouserecords.com
Thoughts and questions after the jump.
1. Oh no! Beanie’s going back in the system? We hadn’t noticed, but yes, it’s true.
2. Make no mistake: Ruffhouse once ruled this city, and somehow, the time really does feel right in a weird way for the label to come back.
3. That said, the timing of all of this is beyond bizarre.
4. But we hope that by “working with self-established marquee artists,” they don’t mean “we’re basically going to be a dumping ground for all of the people we used to work with, then got too big for us, and are now back because they cannot function in a post-empire music world.” Because that would be sad.
5. And finally, we’re mostly just happy because this can’t help but bode well for a Goats reunion. C’mon, Goats. What are you waiting for?